I always try to have something in the house for the children to eat other than chocolate and this is one of their favourites.
110g soft brown sugar
1 rounded dessertspoon golden syrup
175g whole porridge oats
75g raisins or sultanas (or perhaps you could try cut apple or apricots, most fruits work)
Preheat oven to 150C (Gas Mark 2)
You will need an 18 or 20cm square baking tin at least 4cm deep, lightly greased
(I use double the quantity and use a large ceramic roasting dish)
1) Place the sugar, butter and golden syrup in a saucepan and heat gently until the fat has melted, stirring every now and then.
2) Take the saucepan off the heat and stir in the porridge oats and fruit
3) Pour the mixture into the prepared tin
4) Press it out using the back of a tablespoon or your hand (I use my hand as I find it flattens easier)
5) Bake for approx 40-45 minutes
6) Allow the mixture to cool in the tin for approx 10 minutes, then cut into oblong bars
7) Leave in the tin until cold before removing them
8) Store in a tin